Monday, July 23, 2012

Summer is Here and Fresh Mangos are Plentiful by Nancy

When it comes to fruit, I grew up with a pretty sheltered life. Oranges, apples, most kinds of berries, but my mother never bought or brought home a mango. I had no idea what I was missing until I tasted one at a friend's house as an adult. YUM! How sweet and delicious it was.

When I went to the grocery store to buy one for myself, I realized I had no idea how to pick a ripe one. There were Mangoes that were all green, some that were green and yellow, and some that had red for some of their skin. Thinking that the red ones must be the most ripe, I picked a firm, green and red mango and headed home to taste it.

I was wrong, color has little to do with how ripe a mango is. I have since learned that you pick a mango by touch......if it is slightly soft when you gently squeeze it it will probably be ripe. I'm now much better at choosing one that my family will like.

Here's a fun fact about mangos......they are related to cashews and pistachios!

Dole Nutrition News recently published a blog about mangoes helping mice lose weight and lower their cholesterol. To read more about this, go to the Dole blog site: http://newsletter.dole.com/2012/minimize-with-mango/

One of my favorite recipes for mangoes is as a smoothie. This one is good for people on a dairy-free diet.

Mango Mania

1 medium mango
1 1/4c of soya milk
1 lime, juiced
zest of 1 lime
2 Tbs. honey

Peel the mango and cut the flesh off of the stone.
Place in blender with the soya milk, lime juice, zest and honey.
Blend until smooth and frothy.
Pour over crushed ice and enjoy!









http://newsletter.dole.com/2012/minimize-with-mango/

No comments:

Post a Comment