Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Most Fragrant Necklace



My last blog entry talked about my recent trip to Hawaii, and the traditional Kalua Pork that we ate while there. There is even a delicious 3 ingredient recipe for Kalua Pork that received rave reviews at my house. If you have tried it, I hope you liked it as much as we did.

Ever since our first trip to Hawaii, I have loved the fragrance of Plumeria flowers. Whether they are pink, yellow or white, most of them smell absolutely wonderful. To me, their fragrance will always remind me of the islands and the first lei that my husband bought for me on our honeymoon.

On our way to our first Luau, Dan bought a beautiful lei made up of 35 – 50 white and yellow plumaria blossoms. The fragrance was heavenly, and I loved having it around my neck……..for the first hour or two.

The perfume of large number of plumaria flowers can actually be overpowering. I found the best way to resolve the super strong fragrance, and still let Dan know how much I liked his present. This was by taking the lei off from around my neck and wrapping it several times around my wrist. Now I could enjoy the fragrance, it wasn’t too strong but just right, and I was still wearing this lovely gift.

It wasn’t until a later island visit that I learned how to extend the life of any plumeria or orchid lei. I was told to spray it lightly with cool water, put it in a plastic bag, leaving the bag slightly open at one end. The directions then instructed me to wrap a towel around the plastic bag and place the whole thing in a cooler or refrigerator. By following these directions, I was able to wear my subsequent leis several more times. In fact, they lasted about a week, with the orchid leis sometimes lasting even longer than that.

Coming back to my home in Tampa, I brought several cuttings of Plumeria, or as they are called back here on the Mainland, frangi-pangi. They were really easy to root and several of them have grown to be large trees with a trunk circumference of 8 – 10 inches. They really do not like the frost, however, and even though I live in central Florida, I need to be protect them during the winter.

So far, I haven’t had enough blossoms all at one time to make my own lei, but I do cut the flowers and bring them into the house to enjoy that wonderful natural Hawaiian perfume.

No comments:

Post a Comment